Friday 2 December 2022

So, twitter and mastodon

Clearly, twitter has not imploded, and at the same time there's been somewhat of a migration to mastodon.

I've made my own decision about twitter, but not yet about my use of mastodon.

They are currently very different environments.

Even before the change of ownership, twitter was changing and becoming increasingly a write only medium populated by press releases and reposts of nineteenth century orientalist paintings. 

All good in their own way, but not terribly conversational.

Mastodon, or at least the corner I'm in, is definitely more conversational, and is functioning more like an early eighties fidonet forum than twitter's tickertape.

Undoubtedly we're in a period of change. And of course that means we're on a journey with our use of these platforms.

At the moment there's little of the corporate presence on mastodon - it's a volunteer service being funded by the angels - which possibly has implications for long term sustainability; servers need to be maintained and the people that do the maintaining need to eat, and it's unrealistic to expect either to happen on a grace and favour basis.

And perhaps because of the lack of corporate stuff it's more conversational, more ruminative.

Twitter, on the other hand, lurches along much as it always did. I expect it to evolve and change rather than implode, but how, I'm unsure.

I don't see myself going back to twitter to the extent I was - I've decided to move on and do other things,

As far as social media goes, probably what I'll do is continue to blog - certainly I've found it enhances my writing skills (and I enjoy it), and perhaps post occasionally to mastodon and twitter about anything I find especially interesting ...

No comments: