Saturday, 10 October 2026

A workflow for photographing coins and old postcards...

 Since I acquired the little 3D printed phone stand for photographing coins and other small objects such as postcards, I’ve developed a little workflow for myself, based around my Android phone and a Linux based computer, in this case an old iMac running the current release of Ubuntu.

Nothing in it is particularly remarkable, but I thought I’d document it in a blog post just in case someone else finds it useful


•         Photograph the object using phone and stand

•         Download image(s) from Google Photos to computer

•         Create a set of directories (1 per object) with human readable names

•         Move images into directories

•         Use Gwenview to rotate and crop images as appropriate

•         Use Darktable to carry out any perspective correction required

•         Use the montage command from  imagemagick to produce composite images as required eg front/back, obverse/reverse

•         Use Gwenview to crop composite images if required

•         Create small markdown file describing contents of the directory

•         Upload the directory to OneDrive using ‘folder upload’ option for longer term storage

 

As I said, there is nothing super clever in this however, it’s a fairly effective and repeatable procedure. I’d like to emphasise the use of human readable filenames, doing so ensures that it’s easy to find and reuse the images down the track

No comments: