Thursday 9 December 2021

Using the minimal windows machine

 A few months ago I bought myself one of these minimal eMMC based Celeron computers from Lenovo.

The intent was to use this in place of my old MacBook Air which I've used for travel for years.


Well, lockdowns and disruptions have meant that I've not actually gone anywhere, which of course means I've never actually tested it for real.

However, last week we went down to Yanakie for a few days R&R followed by a trip to the city and I took the Lenovo with me for email, blogging and web searches. (Yes sad to say, even holidays chez Moncur involve the internet  these days.)

I havn't done anything weird to it - it runs a vanilla install of Windows 10 Home, along with Chrome and Thunderbird plus some antivirus software. Given the small size of the internal storage adding a linux partition probably isn't a good idea.

I used it over a mixture of a complimentary wireless NBN connection at our rental unit and our Huawei 4G portable router when we visited the city.

Performance was absolutely fine.

Despite its limited power and storage, performance was almost indistinguishable from my old ThinkPad Yoga.

I'm sold.

While obviously performance is constrained, it's an excellent lightweight device for travel ...

[update 15/12/2021]

... and it continues to impress.

I've just been back down to  Melbourne for a couple of days and the machine performed excellently for a bit of blogging, general writing and photo editing.

Like the Air it doesn't have an SD card slot, but the same €3 minimalist SD card reader I bought for the Air in an airport somewhere in Europe a few years ago worked just as well ...


No comments: