Tuesday 20 May 2014

Capacitive gloves

As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t resist springing a dollar for some Chinese iGlove clones - ie normal acrylic gloves with a little bit of capacitive material in the finger tip to allow you to use touch screens.

Well, my dollar gloves arrived and they do work. My only criticism is that the ‘one size fits all’ size only just fits my not particularly large male Caucasian hands - ie if you have big hands they may not fit you.

I’ve tested them on a variety of touch screen devices and they’re fine. They also work well on a standard laptop track pad, meaning you could use them for surfing with a laptop or a chromebook.

As always, I find typing with gloves akin to dancing wearing clogs, but if you were desparate, you could probably type on a chiclet style keyboard while wearing the goves and using the trackpad.

The pair of gloves only have capacitive thumb and forefinger tips - you can get ones with all five fingertips made of capacitive material and these might allow reasonable typing on an iPad or Galaxy virtual keyboard …

Written with StackEdit.

No comments: