Wednesday 21 October 2015

El Capitan ...

While I was having my twitter discussion on 'What is a repository?' I wasn't idle.

I upgraded my five year old MacBook to the latest version of OS X, El Capitan. I'd previously upgraded it to Yosemite, and while it was fine in use, it did tend to slow down over the working week and was at times tediously slow to boot after a shutdown.

It's a little too early to tell how good it'll be after a period of sustained use but I think the upgraded system is a little faster.

The upgrade process was fairly slick, as you'd expect with Apple. I did have a moment of panic half way through when the system rebooted, and instead of simply flashing the power light on and off, made it flicker along with a horrid buzzing noise that reminded me of a system with corrupt firmware, but that was just me being paranoid.

Initial login and configuration seemed to take forever, giving me plenty of time to appreciate the aesthetics of the redesigned spinning beach ball of death but we got there in the end.

As usual with a Mac, everything just seems to work and there's no playing with settings (well apart from reconnecting to iCloud).

We'll see how thing are in a week or so ...

No comments: