Wednesday 27 March 2013

Reading things later

Google reader is, as we know, finishing.

Like every other reader devotee I've gone through the agony of deciding what to do. I've personally decided on netnewswire for OSX and feedreader for windows as something that does what I need. I've not been able to find a web based application that does it for me, though feedly comes close.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep them in sync - as a transition tool they're both good as they sync nicely with Google Reader. What happens in July is anyone's guess.

However, this is not what this post is about. It's about reading things later.

Up to now I've seen things on the web that were interesting but that I didn't have time to read, so I clipped them to Evernote to read later, and on some occasions I actually did. The whole 'read it later' app scene had kind of passed me by. However both of my candidate newsreaders come with Instapaper buttons - basically a service for caching posts to read later.

Being able to put all the posts I want to read later in a single place is useful, and with an Android client, it means I can download the content to a tablet and take it to read in the sunshine - or indeed the bus.

The other nice thing is that Instapaper lets you push content to Evernote, or share it in a variety of other ways. I personally find doing it this way easier than clipping the page to Evernote, reviewing the content and then deleting it, as I always have a small cache of pending stuff. Both complement each other and it does make managing the information flow considerably easier ...

2 comments:

Arthur said...


Pocket is also nice.

dgm said...

update 26/04/2013: Betaworks owner of DIGG has bought Instapaper | http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/04/betaworks-just-bought-instapaper/