Way back in 2019, I bought myself a second hand Thinkpad Yoga 11e, with half a thought of using it as a smaller, lighter computer to take travelling, perhaps even on our planned trip to South Africa.
Well, as we all know, the pandemic happened and no one went travelling anywhere for a couple of years.
For most of that time the Yoga sat on my spare desk as a less bulky machine to take down to the lounge room to write a long or complex email, or indeed to take with me on one of these gaps between lockdowns.
By the time the pandemic eased I’d acquired a newer lighter Lenovo Ideapad as a computer to take travelling, and the Yoga moved out to my desk in the outside studio where it sat on the far corner of my desk, for those times I needed to use a Windows 10 machine.
Well, I looked at it this morning and thought I’m not really using it, perhaps it should go to the recycler, but then the screen’s good, and the keyboard’s nice to type on, maybe I should try Xubuntu on it - with 4GB RAM and a 128GB SSD and a comparatively slow processor, full Ubuntu might have been a stretch.
So I booted it off the USB I wrote to put Xubuntu on my 2013
vintage T440 Thinkpad, and hey presto, forty minutes later I had a working
Xubuntu machine.
Battery life’s good as well, and while I still need to
install a few extra utilities, but I think I’ve ended up with an extra basic
machine for library research sessions and so on ...
No comments:
Post a Comment