As always it's difficult to know what students actually do but David White has conducted a survey of student web 2.0 use at Oxford.
The key points seem to be:
- lot of use of online calendaring
- lot of use of IM (principally MSN Messenger)
- a bit of blogging
- not a lot of collaborative authoring
Interesting questions not covered by the survey are
- How much use do students make of webmail and do they use their own mail in preference to uni provided mail
- Where do Google apps fit into the scheme of things.