Saturday 9 May 2020

Lockdown, linux and refurbished machines

Recently, I've been looking for a refurbished laptop to use as a linux machine.

Not a chance. The WFH (Working From Home) scenario that we've all been pushed into in the last couple of months has meant that all the decent units around the $200-250 mark have disappeared off the market.

I suspect that this has been driven more by schools moving online more than anything else and that's triggered a sudden rush to buy anything reasonable that does the job.

Not that there aren't machines for sale, but they're obviously from the bottom of bin, eight nine years old, and believe it or not, I even saw one of offer with Windows Vista Business for around $150!

A couple of months ago, before the lockdown, you could get something reasonable - say around six years old with  a smallish hard disk and Windows 7 for for about $200 - but not at the moment.

So, I'll wait - I have some other old machines to play with ...

No comments: