Saturday 27 February 2010

art, collage, and the digital age

I've just spent an idle quarter hour looking at a fascinating flickr sequence called 'The body in art'.

I find this particular sequence fascinating beause I've always been fascinated by what I consider an arresting image, such as the current ISIS cover.

I'd like to think it's my inner artist coming out but that's possibly being a little bit precious. However, it's why I used to collect newspaper snippets and art gallery postcards, and collage them on my walls - this was in the days before I discovered style. (Nowadays I do the same thing with flickr and online newspapers.)

So, my question is, can a sequence of images be considered a creative work in its own right?

Well if an exhibition is a creative work, this is a creative work, which means it ought to be captured and archived, something which brings a whole range of problems, as it's not just the images we need to capture, but also the metadata and additional information, as well as the metadata of the set - and that's before we even think of a derived work created by someone from existing creative commons licensed images ...

Archiving and capturing blogs is difficult
, but this takes it to a whole new level ...

No comments: