Following my success with building omeka on a debian vm I thought I'd write down how I did it before I forget.
It's not rocket science, all I did was follow the bouncing ball ...
- Obtain the debian net install iso – I used the 7.8.30 version
- this assumes that the device you are installing to has a network connection
- this install will download software from the internet
- Build debian on the machine of your choice. You will need administrative access
- you will need to decide during the install process whether to be command line only or to install a desktop. You do not need a desktop to install omeka
- some of the utilities required may already be installed
- remember to do sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade at the end of the build process to ensure that all repositories and updates are in place. Using the netinstall iso should mean that you have few, if any, updates
- Follow the omeka command line install script at http://omeka.org/codex/Install_on_Ubuntu_using_Terminal
- the latest version of omeka is omeka 2.2.2 – replace all references to omeka-2.0 with omeka-2.2.2 throughout the install script - for example the wget command should read wget http://omeka.org/files/omeka-2.2.2.zip
It should just work, but as always, your mileage may vary ...