Wednesday 21 May 2014

Apple iCloud and Oracle Comms server

I’m not an apple iCloud user - yes I’ve an account and I’ve tried the online version of pages, but that’s about it.

However, this morning I stupidly left my personal phone at home. Apart from the irritation factor it’s no big deal, except that it had the weekly shopping list on it and no, I hadn’t synced it anywhere sensible, like it’s a shopping list.

Once a week I go to the Mawson supermarket and buy all the boring bulk items like toilet paper and dry cat food. The list is more or less the same except for the extras such as dishwasher powder that we don’t need every week.

However I still have my work iPhone, so my quick fix was to recreate as much of the list as I remember on iCloud and sync the note.

Ok, so far so good. On a whim I also mailed the note to myself and dumped out the headers to look at the routing info. Ok, very geeky, but interesting.

In the middle of the routing data was the following:

Received: from nk11p00mm-spool003.mac.com ([17.158.161.71]) by
nk11p00mm-asmtp002.mac.com (Oracle Communications Messaging Server
7u4-27.08(7.0.4.27.7) 64bit (built Aug 22 2013)) with ESMTP id
<0N5W00IX582NPM10@nk11p00mm-asmtp002.mac.com> for
d^^^^^@^^^mail.com; Tue, 20 May 2014 22:06:29 +0000 (GMT)

(I’ve obscured the name of the mailbox I was using by ^)

And there it was - iCloud uses Oracle communications server. Kind of interesting given that at work we changed from an older version, Convergence, to Office365 at the end of 2012 - obviously the Oracle product scales reasonably well …

Written with StackEdit.

No comments: