And as a reslut when professionally and personally I could avoid using Microsoft products I didn't. In fact I found there were a whole lot of things I could do just as effectively without Microsoft products as with them.
But let's be rational here - there are a whole lot of things Microsoft do as well as anyone else and I've started sneaking out of my operating systems ending in X ghetto to find:
- Windows 7 - it's actually good, and like any good operating system inoffensive - and it doesn't crash or leak memory to any great extent
- Windows live writer - quite a nice little (free) offline blogging tool that plays nicely with blogger and wordpress
- Bing - it's quite good at finding obscure things
- Skydrive - quietly amazingly useful
- Hotmail - well the ads are a little too intrusive, but again it's a nice reliable alternate mail service to the big G